Public-Private Webinar Series
THE GEC PUBLIC-PRIVATE WEBINAR SERIES: EXPLORING SECTOR-SPECIFIC APPROACHES TO SUSTAINABILITY
Join the Green Electronics Council as we explore approaches to sustainability as viewed from the varying lenses of organizations in the public and private sector. This series brings together procurement professionals from verticals within the public and private sectors to share their unique and shared experience in implementing sustainable procurement within their organization. Sessions will highlight novel approaches to advancing sustainability and the challenges and goals that can be applicable to a broad array of commodities and focus areas.
In 2019 GEC is offering four new installments. The first installment was held on February 21, 2019 and focused on Sector-Specific approaches to leadership in the public and private sectors. Forthcoming webinars in 2019 will address the following topics:
- How the Public and Private Sectors Leverage Global Reporting Initiatives
- Approaches to Sustainable Procurement in the Healthcare Sector
- Sector-specific Approaches to Embedding Sustainability into the Procurement Process
To watch a completed webinar, Register for a scheduled webinar, or to be sent a “Registration Notification” when a planned webinar date is finalized, click on the links below.
Sector-Specific Approaches to Leadership
(Thursday, February 21, 2019)
This webinar brings together professionals from the public and private sectors to share their unique sector-specific experience in advancing sustainable purchasing in their organizations and beyond. During this installment of the webinar series, Angela Shell, CPO for the State of California Department of General Services (DGS), and Yalmaz Siddiqui, VP of Corporate Sustainability for MGM Resorts (and Founding Chair of the Sustainable Purchasing Leadership Council), will talk about sustainable procurement within and outside their organizations, and discuss how different motives and structures of authority unique to the public and private sector, inform their respective approaches to leadership.
Sector-Specific Approaches to Utilizing Reporting Tools
(Thursday, August 15, 2019)
In this installment of GEC’s Public-Private Webinar Series, panelists will share their approaches and experiences utilizing reporting tools such as CDP and GRI. Whereas platforms such as CDP and the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) have typically been leveraged by for-profit organizations to assess and rate their sustainability, public sector stakeholders are finding ways to leverage these platforms as well. This session will feature different ways in which the public and private sector are engaging with sustainable protocols and reporting platforms. Panelists from the Federal Government General Services Administration, CDP, GRI, and the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) will speak on the following topics:
- The Federal government, General Service Administration’s (GSA), recently approved a move to ask its suppliers to disclose sustainable information to CDP. Panelists from the GSA and CDP will talk about how this information will be used to promote sustainable activities and procurement across the Federal government, and its impact on the broader marketplace.
- The Global Reporting Initiative is bridging the gap between business and government by creating links between its reporting and the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Using data-driven reporting, GRI has aligned the international principles embodied in the SDGs with activities that both public and private governments can follow under the SDG framework. Working with the UN SDGs and groups such as the UN Global Compact, which helps businesses to align with the SDGs, GRI is helping to crystalize how all sectors can align with global principles and sustainable procurement goals, such as those embodied in SDG 12.1 for Sustainable Consumption and Production.
Approaches to Sustainable Procurement in the Healthcare Sector
(Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:00 PM EST /10:00 AM PST)
During this installment of the GEC Public-Private Webinar Series we will explore healthcare focused sustainable purchasing programs and the motives and tactics that drive initiatives in this space. Panelists from Johnson & Johnson, and Hackensack Meridian Health will discuss how their focus on human health informs their sustainability priorities, and how their enterprise-wide sustainable priorities manifest in their sustainable purchasing efforts.
Michael Hewer, Director, Sustainable Procurement, Johnson & Johnson
Kyle Tafuri, Director of Sustainability, Hackensack Meridian
Green Electronics Council
Office: +1 978 346 8476 (North America Eastern Time Zone)
Mobile: +1 732 492 9564
Sector-Specific Approaches to Embedding Sustainability into the Procurement Process
This series installment will explore key differences in the life of a procurement in a public and private sector organization. Sector-specific differences in an organization’s mission and structure create material differences in how sustainable considerations become a part of each respective procurement process. During this webinar, panelists will outline the basic procurement process their organization follows starting with the end-user’s initial need for a product and service and concluding with the maintenance of an awarded contract. Panelists will discuss why these differences exist and how core differences in motivation and process impact their ability to pursue successful sustainable purchases.