|Western Laboratory – USDOJ|
|2017 EPEAT Purchaser Award – 1 Star
2016 EPEAT Purchaser Award – 1 Star
Western Laboratory purchases EPEAT-registered computers and displays.
|We are utilizing the Federal Electronics Acquisition and Procurement Planning Checklist . We use it prior to purchase of electronic equipment. The following is what we do it to find the most environmentally preferable electronic equipment:
1. Assess the need to purchase new equipment vs. fulfilling the requirement using an alternate method.
2. Assess the possibility of upgrading equipment vs. purchasing new equipment.
3. Assess the possibility of extending a current lease vs. purchasing or leasing new equipment.
4. Require vendors to complete the FEC Product Information Sheet; provide similar information; or provide EPEAT registration, ENERGY STAR® qualification, and Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) designation product details.
5. Discuss with your current vendors the environmental attributes of the electronic products you currently acquire.
6. Discuss with your current vendors the types of environmentally preferable electronic products they offer.
7. Provide information regarding EPEAT, ENERGY STAR, FEMP and other environmental attributes of electronic products to staff that specify IT requirements.
8. Request that staff responsible for implementing these actions take environmentally preferable purchasing (EPP) training.
9. Include ability of vendors to provide EPEAT-registered; ENERGY STAR qualified; and FEMP designated products.
10. Include other environmental attributes in purchasing specifications for products that are not currently registered with EPEAT.
11. Include the ability of vendors to provide products with eco-labels other than EPEAT, ENERGY STAR, and FEMP.
12. Include clause requiring ENERGY STAR® qualified products for all products that have ENERGY STAR specifications.
|Over their lifetime, compared to products that do not meet EPEAT criteria, the 6 EPEAT registered electronics purchased by DEA Western Laboratory in 2015 will result in environmental impact reductions including:
*EPEAT Purchasing Tier indicates how many EPEAT categories are specified in the organization’s purchasing agreements