EPEAT for Purchasers
EPEAT for Purchasers
Thousands of businesses, schools, hospitals and governments worldwide trust EPEAT to inform and streamline their purchase of more-sustainable IT products. EPEAT helps purchasers of all sizes reduce their environmental impact and gain recognition as leaders in sustainable procurement without limiting product selection. With EPEAT, organizations can easily and effectively focus on functionality, features and sustainability attributes that reduce their risks, knowing their efforts align with others’ to move markets.
EPEAT for Procurement
EPEAT is your easy-to-use resource for identifying and purchasing sustainable IT products.
Here is how you can move the needle on your organization’s sustainability goals by using EPEAT:
- Search the EPEAT Registry for free
- Require your vendors to provide EPEAT-Registered products
- Get Recognized as an EPEAT Purchaser
- Track and measure progress
Contact Andrea Desimone, Purchaser Relations Senior Manager, to get started using EPEAT today.
EPEAT BENEFITS CALCULATION
EPEAT-registered products meet strict sustainability impact criteria that take into account the full product lifecycle, from energy conservation and toxic materials to product longevity and end-of-life management. Purchasing EPEAT-registered products is a simple and effective way to greatly reduce your organization’s environmental impact.
Contact us to find out how your environmental benefits will stack up when you start purchasing EPEAT-registered IT products.
Example, EPEAT Benefits Report
We can provide you a benefits report that quantifies the benefits associated with your sustainable IT procurement decisions
A leading nationwide healthcare organization purchases 100% EPEAT-registered products. Over the course of last year, this organization purchased:
- 24,328 EPEAT Gold Notebooks
- 70,052 EPEAT Gold Displays
- 67,273 EPEAT Gold Desktop Computers
Listed below are the measurable benefits for the environment and energy-related savings GEC was able to provide for free for use in their external sustainability reporting.
Measurable Benefits for the Environment
Over their lifetime, compared to products that do not meet EPEAT criteria, these 162,653 computers and displays will:
- Reduce use of primary materials by 17,77 million kg, equivalent to the weight of 490 tractor-trailer 18-wheeler trucks
- Reduce use of toxic materials by 1.13 kg, including enough mercury to fill 1,574 mercury fever thermometers
- Avoid the disposal of 12,471 kg of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 979 refrigerators
- Eliminate the equivalent of more than 301 U.S. households’ annual solid waste—503,703 kg
Energy Related Savings
EPEAT’s requirement that registered products meet the latest ENERGY STAR specifications means these products will consume less energy throughout their useful life, resulting in:
- Savings of over 38.9 million kWh of electricity—enough to power 3,048 U.S. homes for a year
- Avoidance of more than 64 metric tons of water pollutant emissions
- Reduction of nearly 6.5 million kg of greenhouse gas emissions— equivalent to taking than 4,646 average U.S. passenger cars off the road for a year
These lifecycle benefits and others are calculated using the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator, developed under a grant from the U.S. EPA. The Calculator is available near the bottom of this EPA webpage.
Let us calculate your organization’s environmental benefits, for free.
EPEAT helps purchasers of all sizes reduce the overall environmental impact of their IT purchases. The system was designed with purchaser involvement and supports the ”green” procurement efforts of businesses, institutions and consumers alike. Using the free EPEAT system, purchasers in more than 40 countries have access to easy-to-use search tools, intuitive product comparison features, plug-and-play model purchasing language, and more. Buying energy efficient EPEAT products can help reduce energy costs, and recycling-related requirements can ease end of life disposition. In addition, EPEAT can help qualify your organization for recognition by other environmental ratings and certification programs.
There are thousands of EPEAT Purchasers around the world driving environmental improvement in IT product design and delivery by specifying EPEAT as a purchasing requirement. Contact GEC’s Andrea Desimone to join the EPEAT Purchasing program today and be recognized here and in other marketing initiatives.